How to Make Potato Gratin Without Cream
Potato gratin is a classic French dish that pairs potatoes with a creamy cheese sauce. It is a delicious side dish that can be enjoyed on its own, or paired with a variety of entrees. Traditionally, gratin is made with heavy cream, which adds richness and texture to the dish. But for those who want to make a lighter gratin, it is possible to make it without cream. This guide will provide step-by-step instructions for how to make a delicious and creamy potato gratin without cream.
- 3 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish with butter.
- In a large bowl, mix together the potatoes, garlic, onion, flour, and nutmeg. Toss to coat the ingredients evenly.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the vegetable broth over medium-high heat. When the broth is hot, add the coated potato mixture and stir to combine. Simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender but not fully cooked.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the parsley, salt, and pepper. Transfer the mixture to the greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle the top of the gratin with the parmesan cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and the cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve warm.
Potato gratin is a delicious and easy side dish that can be enjoyed in many different ways. While traditionally it is made with cream, it is possible to make a lighter version without cream. This guide provides step-by-step instructions for how to make a delicious potato gratin without cream. With a few simple ingredients and a little bit of time, you can make a delicious gratin that everyone will love.