How to Make Distilled Water
Distilled water is water that has been boiled and condensed back into liquid form. It has had all of its contaminants and minerals removed, so it is considered to be pure and safe to drink. You can buy distilled water from the store, but you can also easily make it at home with some simple supplies.
What You Will Need
- Large pot with lid
- Glass bowl
- Ice cubes
- Distilled water collection container
Step by Step Guide
- Fill the pot with water. Tap water is fine to use. The more water you use, the more distilled water you will have in the end.
- Put the pot on the stove and turn the burner to medium-high heat.
- Place the glass bowl upside down in the pot. Make sure the bowl is not touching the bottom of the pot.
- Place the lid on the pot, so that it is slightly askew on top of the bowl.
- Wait for the water to start boiling. Once it starts boiling, reduce the heat to low and let the water simmer.
- As the water is boiling, it will start to evaporate. When the steam hits the lid, it will condense and collect on the underside of the lid.
- Once the steam starts to collect, place the ice cubes on top of the lid. This will help cool the steam and cause it to condense into liquid.
- Let the water simmer for about 45 minutes. This will give the water enough time to evaporate and condense into distilled water.
- Once the time is up, carefully remove the lid and check to see if the bowl is full of distilled water. If it is, turn off the heat and proceed to the next step. If not, let the water simmer for a few more minutes.
- Carefully remove the bowl from the pot and pour the distilled water into a clean container. Discard the leftover water in the pot.
- Let the distilled water cool before drinking. It is now ready to use.
Making distilled water at home is a simple process that does not require any special equipment or ingredients. With the steps outlined above, you can easily make your own distilled water in no time.