How to Make a Ribbon Rose
A ribbon rose is a beautiful way to dress up any outfit, decorate a gift or even make a dainty hair accessory. Ribbon roses are simple to make and a great project for beginner and experienced crafters alike. Use different colored and widths of ribbon to make as many roses as you can imagine!
- 25-30 inches of ribbon (1 to 2 inch wide)
- Fabric glue or hot glue gun
- Wire cutter (if using floral wire)
- Floral wire (optional)
Step by Step Guide
- Cut the Ribbon: Cut the ribbon of your choice about 25-30 inches long. For a larger rose, use a wider ribbon (1-2 inches wide).
- Fold the Ribbon: Begin folding the ribbon in half lengthwise and crease with your finger. Next, fold the edges in towards the center crease. Keep folding it in half until the ribbon is about two inches long.
- Roll the Ribbon: Starting at one side, begin to roll the ribbon up towards the other side, so that the folded edges are on the outside. Keep rolling the ribbon until you have a rose bud shape.
- Secure the Ribbon Rose: Secure the ribbon rose shape with a dot of hot or fabric glue. Let it dry for a few minutes.
- Add the Stem: Cut a thin piece of floral wire or craft wire and wrap it around the base of the ribbon rose. Twist the ends to secure the rose. If you don’t have craft or floral wire, you can also use green pipe cleaners for the stems.
- Shape the Ribbon Rose: Spread out the petals of the rose until you are happy with the shape. You can also pinch the edges to make the petals more frayed. For a fuller rose shape, add more folds before rolling the ribbon into a rose.
Tips for Making Ribbon Roses
- Mix and match different colors and patterns of ribbon for a variety of ribbon roses.
- If using fabric glue, iron the ribbon roses with a warm iron to make sure they keep their shape.
- To add extra dimension, you can use a toothpick or something similar to push the petals down.
- For a dramatic effect, try using velvet ribbon.
Ribbon roses are a fun and easy craft project that will add a special touch to any gift, clothing item, or home décor. This project is also great for kids and teens to add an extra personal touch to their craft projects. With a little bit of practice, you will be creating beautiful ribbon roses in no time.