How to Draw Anime Eyes
Drawing anime eyes is a fun and rewarding activity, as they are some of the most expressive and detailed parts of a character’s design. Follow these steps to learn how to draw anime eyes.
- Sketch the Overall Shape of the Eye – Start by lightly sketching the overall shape of the eye. This should be round or almond-shaped. The exact shape should depend on the particular anime style you’re working in.
- Draw the Upper and Lower Lash Lines – To create the illusion of depth, draw the lash lines before adding the iris and pupil. Draw the upper lash line slightly above the overall eye shape and the lower lash line slightly below. Make sure these lines are drawn gently so that you can still modify them easily.
- Add the Iris and Pupil – In the center of the eye, draw the iris. The iris should be a large circle and slightly wider than the overall eye shape. Inside the iris, draw the pupil. This should be a small, black circle. The size and shape of the pupil may vary depending on the expression of the character, so feel free to experiment.
- Draw the Highlights and Reflections – To give the eye a more realistic look, draw the reflections and highlights next. For the reflection, draw a small, white crescent in the upper left corner of the iris. For the highlight, draw a small, white circle in the lower right corner.
- Add the Eyebrows – Eyebrows are an important part of the anime eye, as they are often used to help show the character’s expression. Draw the eyebrow slightly above the upper lash line, curving it to create the desired expression.
- Draw the Eye Lashes – Now that you’ve drawn the overall shape of the eye and the eyelashes, you can start adding the individual lashes. Draw the lashes softly, making sure to vary their length and thickness.
- Shade the Eye – To create the illusion of depth, shade the eye. Start by lightly shading the eyelid and then darken it as you move toward the lash line.
- Clean Up the Lines – Now that the drawing is complete, you can erase any excess lines and refine the shape of the eye.
To draw anime eyes, start by lightly sketching the overall shape of the eye. Then draw the upper and lower lash lines. Inside the eye, draw the iris and pupil, as well as the reflections and highlights. Add the eyebrows and individual lashes, and then finish by shading the eye. Finally, clean up the lines and refine the shape.
- Use different styles of lines to create different effects. For example, thicker lines can add a sense of depth, while thinner lines can create a more delicate look.
- Experiment with different shapes to create different kinds of eyes. Some styles may have more angular eyes, while others may have more curved eyes.
- You don’t need to draw every single lash. Focus on the main lines and highlights, and the eye will have a more realistic look.
- Practice, practice, practice! Drawing anime eyes takes time and practice, so don’t be discouraged if your first attempt doesn’t look perfect.
Drawing anime eyes is a fun and rewarding activity. With practice, you can learn how to draw expressive and detailed eyes that bring your characters to life. Follow the steps outlined in this guide to get started drawing your own anime eyes.